Friday, April 18, 2008

Christmas Letter 2003

C H R I S T M A S 2 0 0 3 f r o m t h e G o o d l e t t s I n S e a t t l e

“Where’d ya get that?” I asked Mint. “Guitar-guy” he replied, but I’m thinkin’ … I saw him give Graham a guitar pick and say he could keep it, but not you. Hmm, I thought. I bet he stole it out of jealousy. He didn’t get one. So he took one. Seemed out of character, but I confronted him. “You stole it. Didn’t you?” I asked. The truth peeled back only after several more lies each more incriminating than the last. On the drive back to the store and through much hysteria, we rehearsed what he would say “Excuse me. Earlier today I took this pick without asking and now I want to pay for it.” We arrived and I had to practically drag him into the store tears flowing so fast he was near drowning. “What’s the matter?” I ask. “I’m embarrassed!! It’s not fair!!! Graham got a pick and I didn’t!” he croaked. Standing in front of the counter with picks the rehearsed line barely stumbled out. I started to explain only to hear the guitar-guy glibly reply “It’s OK kid. Those are free”. Ah, relief for father and son. So it was free, but of course he didn’t know that when he lifted it out of the jar. In the end I had the satisfaction of knowing my 7 year old had reluctantly tried to make it right, and he, that he hadn’t actually stolen anything. Always something new being a Dad, but I really love it! I can’t imagine life without the boys. We are all learning important lessons.

Graham played T-ball with some of the goofiest kids ever this past spring. Digging a hole to sit in while playing defense was equally important to good hitting. They were as goofy as Mint’s team of coach-pitch league first graders were serious. Of course these kids were goofy too. With flashes of seriousness inserted in between the mock catches and throws, this was more circus than game. During Mint’s practice some dad’s hurled balls at their 6 year olds with the fast, furious frustration of someone who had played the game, but never made it. Meanwhile, I lobbed balls overhand at Mint and Graham slowly enough that when I hit them (mostly in the head) they didn’t cry too long before asking me to try again so they could bat. At least they learned to move off the plate. Anyway, they both loved baseball and want to play again this Spring. Graham, within a few pounds the weight of Mint, missed the cut off for first grade, but is loving kindergarten. Both of them love mathematics as witnessed by their nagging to be quizzed ad hoc at breakfast, in the car, before bed, etc. They are in the same cub scout pack and I their den leader. They both love music; the book series called I Spy where one tries to locate certain items in a maze of many similar but unexpected items; Yu Gi Oh cards; and of course wrestling each other like bear cubs. Graham, not afraid to throw the first punch when provoked by Mint (we need to work on his non-violent reaction more), filters few of his thoughts wondering out loud why certain parts of his body (that boys have but girls don’t) tingle when he thinks of girls. Help!!

This past Summer we sent the boys home to the farm in Moulton for 4 weeks to be with my parents after which we joined them to spend a week at the beach in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Donna and I had not been there since before we married and the boys never. For them it was a first experience with warm water and sandy beaches – both impossible to find together in Washington state. During that time I pondered and finally accepted a job as associate professor at the University of Washington in the department of medicinal chemistry where I start 1 January 2004. I have literally seen the world via the Institute for Systems Biology and as a result am more than ready for change. Even if University politics turns out to be second only to religious politics in internecine conflicts, I am sure it will be a pleasure to have graduate students for whose development I am at least partially responsible. As of this writing, Donna will probably take a break from the real estate business in 2004 with the intent to focus on herself, issues with homelessness in Seattle and us boys.

Best wishes for a wonderful and prosperous life with family and friends in 2004!

Dave goosci@msn.com or Donna donnamgoodlett@msn.com